Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Daily Retreat 06/24/06

2006 Jun 24 Sat: NATIVITY OF JOHN THE BAPTIST S
Vigil: Jer 1:4-10/Ps 70(71)/1 Pt 1:8-12/Lk 1:5-17.
Day: Is 49:1-6/Ps 138(139)/Acts 13:22-26/Lk 1:57-66.80
 
From today’s readings:  “The LORD called me from birth, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name....  Truly You have formed my inmost being; You knit me in my mother’s womb. I give You thanks that I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works....  My brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those others among you who are God-fearing, to us this word of salvation has been sent....  For surely the hand of the Lord was with him...”
 
The Baptist’s Birth
 
Some artists have produced masterworks partly on accident - they started with one idea, but ended up changing design plans because of the quality of their raw materials, or limitations of the medium, or a fresh inspiration.   However, such developments and modifications are completely excluded from the creative activity of God our Creator - He always starts with a complete and perfect plan that takes into account all contingencies, and so He then molds His work into the envisioned model.
 
Today’s solemnity of the Birth of John the Baptist emphasizes this point.  Half a year away from celebrating the birth of our Savior, we see how God prepared the world for that event - by sending His precursor to prepare His way.  The scriptural texts that relate the birth of John clearly outline the guiding power of Providence, and thus explain why God’s people are called upon to embrace their own parts in God’s plan as it is gradually unfolded in their lives.
 
For although John’s role of preparing the way of the Lord was certainly unique,  yet that doesn’t mean that our Creator  was more concerned and involved in John’s birth than He was in your birth or mine.  In fact, each one of us is just as entitled to echo Isaiah’s words: “The LORD called me from birth, from my mother's womb, He gave me my name!”  So when you come to celebrate your own birthday this year, re-read these biblical verses detailing God’s Providence in bringing John to birth, and rest assured that the very same creative Genius created you as well as a masterpiece with a uniquely sculptured place in the plan of Providence!