Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Daily Retreat 06/23/06

2006 Jun 23 Fri: SACRED HEART OF JESUS S
Hos 11: 1. 3-4. 8c-9/ Is 12: 2-3. 4. 5-6 (3)/ Eph 3: 8-12. 14-19/ Jn 19: 31-37
 
From today’s readings:  “My heart is overwhelmed, My pity is stirred....  You will draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation.....  that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith....  a soldier thrust his lance into His side, and immediately blood and water flowed out. ”
 
The Heart of Inspiration
 
What does Jesus look like?  There’s no biblical or other early Christian literature that offers even a sketchy description of our Lord’s face and other physical characteristics.  And yet the truth of the Incarnation establishes that Jesus did (and does!) have a human face and body, and so over the centuries, Christian artists have freely painted and sculptured images of Christ, which, far from promoting idolatry,  have helped believers immensely in focusing their prayers on the divine Person who inspired the works of art.
 
Just a year or two after my first Holy Communion, my mother gave me a devotional picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  It was such a prized possession, and effective reminder of the Lord’s loving presence in my life!  So often, just by glancing at the picture, I was inspired to offer a short prayer to Jesus, just telling Him of my love for Him, or thanking Him for His love for me, or asking Him for directions in life, or praying for others.  I particularly remember the exciting joy of contemplating a vocation to the priesthood as the way Jesus was calling me to help spread the Gospel of His love and His life!
 
This year, some parishioners presented me with a beautiful statue of the Sacred Heart, since providentially, my anniversary of ordination also falls on this feast.  How I thank God for all the love He’s shown throughout my life, particularly in the 12 years I’ve been blessed to serve Him and His people in the priesthood!  His Sacred Heart continues to enkindle in my own poor heart the fire of His divine love, the fervor of His sacrificial life.   Please remember to pray for me, and pray with me, that our dear Lord make all our hearts like unto His!