Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Daily Retreat 03/23/09

2009 Mar 23 Mon: Lenten Weekday/ Toribio de Mogrovejo, bp
Is 65: 17-21/ Ps 29(30): 2 and 4. 5-6. 11-12a and 13b/ Jn 4: 43-54.

From today’s readings:  “Thus says the LORD: Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth....  I will praise you, Lord, for you have rescued me....  Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will not believe.”

What’s New?

There is so much beauty in creation to give thanks to God for, and yet the pervasive pollution of sin has contaminated so much, one can wonder if there’s anyplace left unscarred by evil!

But it is the Lord’s ambitious plan to go beyond a mere cleanup operation, for as we read in the book of Isaiah: Thus says the LORD: “Lo, I am about to create new heavens and a new earth; The things of the past shall not be remembered or come to mind. Instead, there shall always be rejoicing and happiness in what I create; For I create Jerusalem to be a joy and its people to be a delight; I will rejoice in Jerusalem and exult in My people!”

This glorious promise is echoed in the New Testament (e.g., 2 Pet 3:13, Rev 21:1), so we should never see the task of cooperating with God’s work as too daunting  - when the Lord completes His new creation, there shall be the complete end of evil, suffering, and sadness....