Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Daily Retreat 12/30/08

2008 Dec 30 Tue: Christmas Weekday
1 Jn 2:12-17; Ps 95(96):7-8a,8b-9,10; Lk 2:36-40

From today's readings: "I am writing to you....  give to the LORD the glory due His Name....  When they had fulfilled all the prescriptions of the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth."

Did you get My letter to you?

At times, reading or listening to Scripture, we get the sense, "Wow!  This is just the inspiration I needed today - God really spoke directly to me through His holy Word."  The point is, we must strive to establish that sense of personal connection as the norm, and not the exception.

St. John makes this point as he explains different reasons for writing to different people:  "I am writing to you, (children, fathers, young men) because...."   It is John's hope (and God's plan!) that each of us tunes in, responding to the personal appeal, and realizing the Word of God is indeed intended for you and me, and not just for someone else.