Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Daily Retreat 11/06/08

2008 Nov 6 Thu: Ordinary Weekday
Phil 3: 3-8a/ Ps 104(105): 2-3. 4-5. 6-7/ Lk 15: 1-10

From today’s readings:
“But whatever gains I had, these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ....  Let hearts rejoice who search for the Lord....  Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep! ”

At a Loss

Life is about learning, and each one of us has anecdotal proof that many lessons are only learned the hard way. Generally, though, when we learn things the hard way, we become the most credible of teachers in helping those we know to learn from our mistakes.

St. Paul once was fanatical about the Mosaic law, and he believed that adherence to that was the most important thing in life. But after his conversion experience, he learned there was something even more important - Jesus Himself!

What about you? What do your actions and passions reveal as being most important in your life? Learn the greatest lesson in life from Paul, so that you can join him in declaring, "Whatever gains I had, these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ. More than that, I even consider everything as a loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord!"