Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Friday, May 09, 2008

Daily Retreat 05/12/08

2008 May 12 Mon: Ordinary Weekday (Sixth Week in Ordinary Time)
Jas 1: 1-11/ Ps 118(119): 67. 68. 71. 72. 75. 76/ Mk 8: 11-13

From today’s readings: “Count it all joy, my brethren, when you meet various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.... Be kind to me, Lord, and I shall live...  The Pharisees came forward and began to argue with Jesus, seeking from Him a sign from Heaven to test Him....”

Greetings from St. James!

Yesterday’s solemnity of Pentecost signaled the end of the festive Easter season, so a marked shift now appears in the selection of daily scripture readings as the “ordinary time” liturgical season is resumed.   Ready for a change?  Read St. James!  In his letter, James writes to Christians of all ages about some of the most fundamental practical questions that arise in living out a daily whole-hearted commitment to Christian faith.

What to do when faced with difficulties and trials?  “Consider it all joy!”  What?!  Isn’t it our troubles that shatter our contentment - how then can we see problems as joy?  Because “the testing of your faith produces perseverance!”  And what a blessing that is, to rejoice in faith that has weathered all trials, and been strengthened instead of compromised.  

An anemic, untested faith will always be a source of concern and preoccupation, like a newly designed fighter plane that hasn’t been test flown yet - no matter how maneuverable in theory, the question still remains: how will it hold up in adverse conditions?  But after testing, there is proof of perseverance -  the plane (and faith!) can be relied upon to hold up under future trials - consider it all joy!

Coincidentally, today also marks the beginning preparation for a changed focus in my own priestly ministry.  This coming July, after ten years as pastor, I will be leaving Our Lady of the Valley parish in Okanogan, WA and moving to Mt. Angel Seminary in Oregan, where, in fulfillment of a long-held dream, I will be teaching scripture and serving as one of the formation directors on staff.  So, today I am driving to Mt. Angel for a short orientation session, and, my thoughts turn to those words of St. James, “Consider it all joy....!”  For, even though the decade in Okanogan has emphatically been full of many blessings, there has also lately been various trials which, while I would not have chosen them voluntarily, have nevertheless helped me, by the grace of God, to personally experience St. James’ joyful assertion that “the testing of faith produces steadfastness!”

If I can still be of service to Immaculate Heart Retreat Center and the readers of this “virtual retreat” column, my hope and plan is that I will be able to continue these daily reflections from new home at Mt. Angel - I’ll be looking into the feasibility of that as I learn more at this orientation about my new responsibilities.  So, remember me in your prayers, and pray also for priestly vocations!