Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Daily Retreat 03/09/08

2008 Mar 9 SUN: FIFTH SUNDAY OF LENT. Third Scrutiny of the Elect.
Ez 37: 12-14/ Ps 129(130): 1-2. 3-4. 5-6. 7-8/ Rom 8: 8-11/ Jn 11: 1-45

From today’s readings: “Thus says the Lord GOD: O My people, I will open your graves and have you rise from them....  With the Lord there is mercy and fullness of redemption....   If Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is alive because of righteousness....  Now a man was ill, Lazarus from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha....”

The Time Left

Are there not twelve hours in the day?  And are there not 40 days in this annual spiritual retreat of the Church which we call the holy season of Lent?  Ah, now that I brought that up, I have another question for you: of the following three possibilities, which most accurately describes you:
1.  Although I am vaguely aware that this is the season of Lent, I must honestly admit that this fact has very little practical meaning in my life.
2.  I know it’s Lent, and I’ve had enough of it, and I can’t wait for it to finish.
3.  During this joyful season of Lent, I am striving to participate as much as possible in this annual retreat of the Church.  I am finding concrete ways to put into practice Ash Wednesday’s Gospel call to penance in the 3 forms of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.  I am owning up to my sins, and repenting of them, turning to the Lord for the forgiveness He grants through the sacrament of confession.

My friends, if the grace of this holy season is not yet permeating your whole life, if Lent has so far had very little practical meaning in your life, I have good news for you - it’s not too late! There’s still a fourth of this holy season remaining.  Hearken to the words of St. Paul: now is the acceptable time, now is the day of salvation!  Rend your hearts, open them up so that the Spirit of God can fill them!  Take even a baby step today in committing yourself to penance: find an extra five minutes a day for some extra prayer; fast this week and next by committing yourself to a plain and simple diet, or make a sacrifice by abstaining from your favorite leisure activity; find a concrete way to help someone, even just one person, less fortunate than yourself.  Take up the offer, the warmest invitation and most ardent encouragement to receive the sacrament of confession in the remaining days of Lent.  No excuse if you’ve forgotten HOW - just mention to your priest that you need a little help, and he will be happy to explain HOW TO.  Now is the acceptable time, now is the day of salvation!

If, on the other hand, anyone already feels tired of this holy season, and is just waiting for it to end, this is a sure sign that his observance of Lent is superficial - he needs dive fully into the living waters we heard Jesus promise in the Gospel two weeks ago.  He needs enlightenment from Him Who presented Himself as the “Light of the World” in the Gospel last week.  He needs to wake from his slumber to embrace wholeheartedly the Resurrection and the Life!

Aren’t there twelve hours in a day?  Aren’t there 40 days in Lent?  My friends, what are you going to do with the 10 days that remain for you?