Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Daily Retreat 01/23/08

2008 Jan 23 Wed: Ordinary Weekday
1 Sm 17: 32-33. 37. 40-51/ Ps 143(144): 1b. 2. 9-10/ Mk 3: 1-6

From today’s readings: 
“You come against me with sword and spear and scimitar, but I come against you in the name of the LORD of hosts....  My refuge and my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield, in Whom I trust.... Is it lawful to do good on the Sabbath rather than to do evil, to save life rather than to destroy it?”

David and Goliath

David’s triumph over Goliath is certainly among the most familiar of biblical events.  In a way, perhaps even TOO familiar, for like Christmas, the story is often stripped of its context of faith, then shanghaied into secular service as an upset success story meant to motivate underdogs of all breeds.

David’s victory was not due to his own pluck or luck, his “positive thinking” or shrewd hoodwinking - rather, David confesses his only and sure hope of prevailing: “For the battle is the LORD's, and HE shall deliver you into our hands!”

When you’re faced with formidable foes, where do you place your hope of victory?  The moral of “David and Goliath” is not that underdogs occasionally will even win an upset, it’s that God (and those on His side) ultimately will win - even a setup!