Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Daily Retreat 11/06/07

2007 Nov 6 Tue
Rom 12:5-16ab/ Ps130( 131):1bcde. 2. 3/ Lk 14:15-24

From today’s readings: “Rejoice in hope, endure in affliction, persevere in prayer....  In You, O Lord, I have found my peace....  Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame....”

Bless those who persecute you!

These verses of Paul’s letter to the Romans contain some of the most practical advice in the entire Bible for living out our Christian faith.  Since the advice is so practical, let us take the step of putting it into practice!  Too often, you and I read words of scripture which strike us as profound, and yet we fail to follow up by letting the inspiration make a real difference in our lives.

Here’s a concrete example: Paul’s injunction to “Bless those who persecute you -  bless and do NOT curse them!”  Tough words to put in practice - it certainly is not easy to bless those who persecute us and cause us problems.  These words were particularly on my mind a few years ago when I was driving and considering a concrete application for them in my life.  Suddenly, a car swerved in front of me and came very close to causing a serious accident!  

I was just about to mutter “Darn you idiot!” when I recalled St. Paul’s recommendation, and I tried it: “Well, God bless you!” I prayed aloud on behalf of the inconsiderate driver - and it worked (at least for me)!  Instead of fruitlessly fuming about the near accident, I prayed peacefully for the safety of all on the road.  Thanks to St. Paul’s timely and timeless advice, I experienced God’s peace and was able to completely put the situation behind me.

So try it - on the road, or anytime someone does something annoying or unkind - bless them, and do not curse!  You’ll discover that you’re often in close enough range to benefit most from the blessing yourself!