Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Friday, September 21, 2007

Daily Retreat 09/23/07

2007 Sep 23 SUN: TWENTY-FIFTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
Am 8: 4-7/ Ps 112(113): 1-2. 4-6. 7-8/ 1 Tm 2: 1-8/ Lk 16: 1-13

From today’s readings:  “Hear this, you who trample upon the needy and destroy the poor of the land....  Praise the Lord who lifts up the poor....  I ask that supplications, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be offered for all men....  You cannot serve both God and mammon....”

Small Matters Matter Greatly

Most of us can distinguish between right and wrong very clearly when it comes to big issues, such as the heinous crimes that appear in the newspaper every day.  Thanks to the guiding grace of God, we literally wouldn’t be caught dead doing such deeds!

But it’s a different story when it comes to smaller issues.  There, the temptation is to lull our consciences with poor excuses such as, “I would never rob a bank, so it’s no big deal that I occasionally shortchange my customers;” or, “I tell the truth when it matters, so what if I lie about my age a bit now and then?”

In the endless hammering of these small matters, you and I are slowly forging our characters, for better or for worse.  The more we practice self-deception, the better we get at it.  Soon, the small matters start looming larger: “It won’t hurt if I miss Church this week - I went the last two weeks.”  “This isn’t adultery - I’m just enjoying some time with another person.”  “It’s just a blob of tissue - I would never kill an actual person!”

The person who is trustworthy in very small matters is also trustworthy in great ones; and the person who is dishonest in very small matters is also dishonest in great ones!