Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Monday, June 18, 2007

Daily Retreat 06/23/07

2007 Jun 23 Sat/BVM
2 Cor 12:1-10/Ps 33(34):8-9. 10-11. 12-13/Mt 6:24-34

From today's readings: "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness....  Taste and see the goodness of the Lord....  Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides...."

Christ's Strength Working Through Weakness

Still responding to critics who dismiss his spiritual authority, Paul writes briefly in the third person about his own mystical experience.  But, rather than focusing on the extraordinary grace which singled him out for that revelation, Paul characteristically returns to his own weaknesses, through which the strength of Christ continues to shine.

If Paul had been, for instance, the greatest orator of his time, then his success as a missionary could have been attributed to that, instead of to the working of the Holy Spirit in spreading the infant faith.   So, his weakness actually makes God's strength and grace more apparent.  This is Paul's point when he insists that "I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong!"

All of us have weaknesses in our own lives, and sometimes these are extremely hard to bear "thorns in the flesh" from which we beg the Lord to deliver us.   Certainly, such prayers are legitimate, but even as we pray, we need to consider Paul's insights about how God works through weaknesses, so we can be receptive if God chooses to answer our prayers as He answered Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness!"

On this 13th anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood, I certainly am filled with an awareness of my own weakness, and God's grace shining even through that.  Thank you for your prayers and support! Join me in thanking God for these joy- and  grace-filled years of my vocation, and join me too in begging the good Lord, in consideration of my weakness and unworthiness, to ever strengthen me in His service....