Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Daily Retreat 06/02/07

2007 Jun 2 Sat/BVM/Marcellinus and Peter, mts
Sir 51:12cd-20/Ps 18(19):8. 9. 10. 11/Mk 11:27-33

From today's readings: " When I was young and innocent, I sought wisdom openly in my prayer....  The precepts of the Lord give joy to the heart....   Was John's baptism of heavenly or of human origin?"

A Final Word of Wisdom

As you recall, the book of Sirach, from which the first readings have been taken (aside from Sundays) for the last two weeks, is also known as "Ben Sira" (meaning "Son of Sira," from 50:27 and the subscripted last verse of the book), and it's also sometimes labeled  "Ecclesiasticus," which literally means "relating to the church (or assembly)," since this book, with its many witty proverbs, was often proclaimed for meditation and commentary when God's people assembled together for communal prayer.

Today's extract from the final chapter of Sirach is a reflection on the fruitful pursuit of wisdom.  Now even though wisdom is recognized as, first and foremost, one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit (cf. Isaiah 11), it is a gift which must be properly cultivated and developed, for it would clearly be the height of foolishness to ever arrogantly brag, "I am already wise enough!"  So, as Ben Sira reminds us, wisdom must be sought "openly in prayer," and she (wisdom personified) must be sought "until the end."  

Many in these modern times doubt that wisdom, as such, can actually be pursued - while not denying that wisdom really exists in some sense, they nonetheless see it more as a fortuitous convergence of several factors, so a decision is labeled "wise" simply if future developments confirm that decision as a good choice.  But the biblical view is that God's wisdom can indeed be pursued and developed, just as one can pursue scientific knowledge or physical skills.  But great discipline and focus of body and soul is needed for wisdom to be developed:"My heart delighted in her [i.e. Wisdom], my feet kept to the level path because from earliest youth I was familiar with her. In the short time I paid heed, I met with great instruction. Since in this way I have profited, I will give my teacher grateful praise. I became resolutely devoted to her– the good I persistently strove for. My soul was tormented in seeking her, My hand opened her gate and I came to know her secrets. I directed my soul to her, and in cleanness I attained to her!"