Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Daily Retreat 03/30/07

2007 Mar 30 Fri: Lenten Weekday. .
Jer 20: 10-13/ Ps 17(18): 2-3a. 3bc-4. 5-6. 7/ Jn 10: 31-42

From today’s readings:  “All those who were my friends are on the watch for any misstep of mine....   In my distress I called upon the Lord, and He heard my voice....   If I do not perform My Father’s works, do not believe Me; but if I perform them, even if you do not believe Me, believe the works, so that you may realize and understand that the Father is in Me and I am in the Father.”


A Week Heart


One week to go before Good Friday – certainly,  for the enemies of Jesus, that was a time of  plotting against Him, being “on the watch for  any misstep.” What about for Jesus Himself?  As He drew near Jerusalem, fully aware of the  suffering and death He was facing, the words of  Jeremiah in the first reading must have resonated  within His Sacred Heart, along with the psalm  and all the other scripture passages which were  about to come to fulfillment.  

And what about us at this time? Are our own  hearts more in line with those of Christ’s enemies,  or, set aflame with the Word of God, are they  pulsing with love of Christ’s own Sacred Blood?  Or, are they merely indifferent, inexcusably  catatonic in tragic disregard of the greatest act of  love that the world ever has or ever will see?