Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Daily Retreat 12/25/06

2006 Dec 25 Mon:THE NATIVITY OF THE LORD

Midnight Mass: Is 9:1-6/Ps 95(96)/Ti 2:11-14/Lk 2:1-14.
Mass at Dawn: Is 62:11-12/Ps 96(97)/Ti 3:4-7/Lk 2:15-20.
Mass During the Day: Is 52:7-10/Ps 97(98)/Heb 1:1-6/Jn 1:1-18

From today’s readings: “Do not be afraid, for behold, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.....”

Christmas Memories

One of the best ways to prepare for the coming of Christ is to go to confession, telling God sorry for any and all times we have failed to welcome the Lord completely in our lives.  In confessions at my parish every day throughout this past week, I have been asking those who came, as their penance and as a way of spreading Christmas cheer, to call to mind a favorite memory of Christmas time, and then to share that memory with others, and then to ask others to share a special Christmas memory in turn with them.

Since I always strive to practice what I preach, I decided to do the same thing with you!  However, because so many of the best memories of life are connected to Christmas, I find it a bit challenging to settle on a particular, absolute favorite.

As a young child, Christmas was the day of the year I looked forward to the most!  Without a doubt, there was the unforgettable anticipation of presents coming my way, but in my family, there was also always the awareness that all of the festivities were in honor of the birthday Boy, Baby Jesus, and obviously, there was no ChristMas without Christ or without Mass.

I especially fondly recall the first time I was asked to serve as an altar boy on Christmas day.  The Church was overflowing with people, and everyone was so festive in celebrating Emmanuel - “God is with us!”   I remember thinking, even at that age, “This is the way the Church should always be!”

And as I grew older, I quickly learned that giving presents could be just as joyful as receiving, especially when we find a personal way to give to Jesus by giving to those in need.

Another year, I was asked to play my violin, joining the choir and congregation in singing the jubilant carols of Christmas time.  I felt so much like I was in the shoes of the Little Drummer Boy, playing my best for Him as a present for Baby Jesus - I just happened to play the violin instead of the drum!

When I was studying for the priesthood, I got to go Midnight Mass in Rome with Pope John Paul II!  It was necessary to arrive at St. Peter’s Basilica hours early, but it was worth it - as we listened to the Gospel proclaimed anew of the herald angel’s message of “great joy for all people,” it seemed the whole world was coming together there to celebrate the Birth of Christ!

Particularly as a priest, every year I’ve brought those same tidings of great joy to as many people as possible, including, as I’ve mentioned before, to numerous families with children who had never had it explained to them by their parents that Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ!

So, perhaps in summary, I could simply say that my favorite Christmas memory is the very sharing of Christmas memories!  So, now, today is Christmas - do your part! Spread that message of Christmas jubilation by sharing treasured memories of celebrating Christ’s birth with others, and inviting them to share their memories with you, rejoicing together with family, friends, and the whole world filled anew with Christmas joy!