Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Daily Retreat 10/04/06

2006 Oct 4 Wed: Francis of Assisi, rf M
Jb 9: 1-12. 14-16/ Ps 87(88): 10bc-11. 12-13. 14-15/ Lk 9: 57-62

From today’s readings:  “God is wise in heart and mighty in strength; who has withstood Him and remained unscathed?...  Let my prayer come before You, Lord....  No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God.”


All in All

There are a few verses in the Gospels where Jesus appears uncharacteristically cold-hearted.  Interestingly enough, almost all such verses pertain to the complete surrender of self that is demanded by authentic Christian discipleship.  The would-be followers of Jesus approach Him with seemingly reasonable requests, questions, concerns, observations, explanations, excuses, exceptions, but none of them matter, for Jesus will not budge, bend, give in, or give up on His demands of discipleship.

One was ready to follow Jesus, but in his heart, he was concerned, naturally enough, about taking care of himself - what he would eat, where he would sleep.  Jesus explains, “Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest His head!”  Jesus didn’t tell him not to take care of himself, but the Lord did give a reminder to not let care for ourselves, even very legitimate human cares, even the most basic demands of our fleshly existence, ever be an excuse for not following Jesus.  Hasn’t your direction as a disciple been woefully misdirected at times because your first concern was clearly to address your own needs?  “I’m too tired to help,” “I’m too hungry to pray now,” “I’m bored,” “I’m upset,” “I’m distracted.....”  It certainly happens all too often!

Another was inclined to follow Jesus, but was concerned, naturally enough, about taking care of his duties, such as burying his father.  Jesus explains, “Let the dead bury their dead. But you, go and proclaim the Kingdom of God!”  Jesus didn’t tell him not to take care of his duties, but the Lord did give a challenge to transcend secular standards and put things - everything - in God’s perspective, for this world will always try to convince us that something else has to be done first before getting around to taking our faith seriously.  Hasn’t your development as a disciple been pathetically stunted at times because you keep getting side-tracked with other things?  “I’ll pray as soon as I check my email,” “I’ll start tithing when I get my tax refund,” “I’ll read the Bible when I’m done with the newspaper,” “I’ll go to Church when I finish my weekend plans,” “I’m too busy....”   It certainly happens all too often!

Yet another was eager to follow Jesus, but was concerned, naturally enough, about taking care of his family and friends.   Jesus explains, “No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the Kingdom of God!”  Jesus didn’t tell him not to take care of his family and friends, but the Lord did give an insight about how to rightly order the priorities of our lives, for the Devil is a master at using even very good and important things of life, like family and friends, as a means to lure us away from God.  Hasn’t your dedication as a disciple been partially compromised at times because you worried about making waves with family and friends?  “I don’t want them to think I’m a fanatic,” “We could skip Sunday Mass and have some great family time watching the game together,” “The kids were pretty good about going to Sunday school last year, so we could just skip it this year,” “I didn’t want to inconvenience anybody by asking for a ride to Church,”  “My spouse probably wouldn’t go for more religion in our lives.....”  It certainly happens all too often!

Jesus is all-good, and all-loving, and could never be accurately described as cold-hearted!  But Jesus is also all-knowing, for He knows that the flesh, and the world, and the Devil will all generate endless excuses for us not to follow Jesus, or to follow Him later, or to follow Him with less commitment.  But Jesus will not budge, bend, give in, or give up on His demands of discipleship, because He is all-in-all, our God.