Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Daily Retreat 08/02/06

2006 Aug 2 Wed: Ordinary Weekday/ Eusebius of Vercelli, bp/ Peter Julian Eymard, p
Jer 15: 10. 16-21/ Ps 58(59): 2-3. 4. 10-11. 17. 18/ Mt 13: 44-46

From today’s readings:  “When I found Your words, I devoured them; they became my joy and the happiness of my heart, because I bore Your Name, O LORD, God of hosts....  O my strength! your praise will I sing, for You, O God, are my stronghold, my merciful God!...  The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure buried in a field....”

Buried Treasure

The parables of the buried treasure and superlative pearl are only found in the Gospel of St. Matthew.  These two simple and brief stories are clear enough - so straightforward, in fact, that the other evangelists either didn’t remember them, or didn’t consider them important enough to record.  But as he listened to Jesus speaking these parables, Matthew, the former publican, must have paid particular attention and received a profound sense of consolation in newly appraising the Pearl of great price which he had obtained by forfeiting his tax collector’s post.

But too often, I fear, we consider the prize of Heaven, not like a treasure or exquisite pearl, but like a season-end clearance sale.  If we don’t have to pay too much, then we’ll buy it, but if the price is too high today, well, perhaps it will go down tomorrow, or, in the worst case, if what we’re searching for is sold-out, then we’ll just have to wait until the season comes around again.

But anything heavenly surpasses everything earthly, and we need to get that straight!  For if they’re not recognized for what they’re worth, buried treasures and priceless pearls have a way of being lost by default....