Virtual Retreat

Daily scriptural reflections by Fr. Rory Pitstick, SSL from Immaculate Heart Retreat Center in Spokane, WA
Also available via daily email

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Daily Retreat 02/10/06

2006 Feb 10 Fri: Scholastica, v, r M

1 Kgs 11: 29-32; 12: 19/ Ps 80(81): 10-11ab. 12-13. 14-15/ Mk 7: 31-37

From today’s readings: "Israel went into rebellion against David’s house to this day.... My people heard not My voice, and Israel obeyed Me not.... He has done all things well. He makes the deaf hear and the mute speak!"

Dealing with Disaster

God’s mercy, though infinite, is still in no way some impervious force which shields us from the effects of sins freely chosen. God’s mercy is never imposed - it must be embraced freely, but that cannot be done as long as our arms are still holding tight to our sins. The first reading recounts the rebellion of Israel which resulted from the stubborn sins of Solomon. The exasperation of God Himself is heard in the psalm: "If only My people would hear me, and Israel walk in My ways, quickly would I humble their enemies; against their foes I would turn My hand!"

The tragic effects of sin can be seen all around us. The only way to deal with this disaster is to relinquish our own sins so that we are free again to embrace God’s mercy, and pray and assist others to open their ears to God’s plea to return to Him.